The leading Workplace Discrimination Attorney in Washington PA.
We believe that workers should be paid a living wage in an environment free of illegal discrimination, harassment, and retaliation. Our employment discrimination lawyers represent employees who have suffered discrimination and/or harassment at work.
A. Some federal anti-discrimination laws applicable to employment are:
- The Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (ADA) (disability);
- The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (age );
- Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (race, color, and national origin in programs and activities receiving federal financial assistance);
- Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (race, color, religion, sex, and national origin);
- Title IX of the Education Amendments of 1972 (sex discrimination in federally funded education programs);
- The Equal Pay Act of 1963 (EPA) (sex discrimination in the payment of wages);
- The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) (interference with or unfair treatment based upon use of FMLA-mandated medical, family or care-giving leave);
- The Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978 (PDA) (pregnancy);
- Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) (military service).
B. State and local laws also offer protections for employees and/or independent contractors in the workplace. The state and/or local laws applicable to a particular employer may prohibit harassment or prejudicial treatment based upon one or more of the following protected characteristics:
- Disability, record of disability, or association with a disabled person
- National origin
- Family status
- Marital status
- Ancestry or place of birth
- Age; and